Ken Bliss and Gayle Gainsforth were the original owners of B & G Drive-In, which was also known as B & G Tasty Treet and most recently B & G Tasty Foods. In 1953, Ken and Gayle, who were co-workers and friends in Fremont, Nebraska, were presented with the opportunity to buy a then-closed Omaha drive-in, and they jumped at the chance.
The building the men purchased for their eatery was located just west of its present location. It was then on the outskirts of Omaha, next to a golf course. Customers were served by car hops at the original location, but car hopping ceased when the business moved to its present location in Beverly Hills Plaza in 1973.
Gayle, with his wife, Shirley, and Ken with his wife, Marge, worked at the drive-in as did all of their children over the years. Some of their grandchildren were also involved in the enterprise. Their 1953 recipes and menu were the same as what is served in the restaurant today. It remains a mystery as to where the BG loose meat sandwich recipe originated.
The current owner is Eddie Morin who worked at B & G throughout his high school and college years. After graduation, he was given the option to buy B & G, and did so on May 1, 2009.
Where did the original counter and stools come from?
The Ben Franklin store on 84th Street, which is now Mangelsens, discontinued selling food at their luncheon counter and sold them to Ken and Gayle. The stools were manufactured 1926.
What is the link to the original clown paintings that used to dot the walls in the restaurant?
The Gainforth’s aunt, Patt McCreary, was a photographer who dabbled in oil painting as a hobby. She is the artist who created the clown paintings. And why did she choose clowns to paint? Because she loved clowns! Most of McCreary’s clown paintings have disappeared, but the original clown painting she did of Gayle is still hanging in the restaurant.